Friday, February 22, 2008

Can we turn Texas Blue? - YES WE CAN!


Mr. Luckybear and I attended Barack Obama’s speech here in Dallas on Wednesday. It was an amazing experience. Although Dallas County itself is considered Democratic, the area is very Republican. So when I walked up to get a place in line I nearly cried from joy - the line was wrapped around the arena, down the road quite a ways and into a parking garage. I arrived about an hour before the doors were scheduled to open and already there had to of been at least 10,000 people waiting to get in. Everyone was fired up and excited to hear Senator Obama. It was so exciting to see so many proud Democrats turning out to hear a candidate speak.

We got in at around noon after some of the opening speakers had spoken, but prior to the main event. Former Mayor Ron Kirk spoke briefly and to the joy of the crowd Emmitt Smith also spoke warmly of Senator Obama. I wonder if Emmitt will some day run for office. He too is an eloquent speaker. The man of the hour came out to speak despite being under the weather with the flu. The crowd roared with approval as Obama launched into his rational for running for office now. He seemed to speak from the heart. He not only gave us ideas and ideals, but also his plans for solutions. I think the biggest impression I got from his speech is that it is imperative to inspire the American people into believing in their elected officials again and that their support is needed to help right the mess that will be left behind when the Bush Administration leaves office. This is why I support him. He’s not saying “Trust me, I can do it” as most politicians do. Instead he’s saying that he trusts and believes in the American people and together we can do great things. That’s truly inspiring.

No comments: