Saturday, November 1, 2008

Home from Houston

I just got home from the Quilt Festival in Houston. I met a dear friend and fellow quilter from New York there. It was her first visit. Although I tried to prepare her, it was still very overwhelming. There were lots of great quilts - so many different techniques and styles. I find I most enjoy the quilts that include some sort of traditional quilting in them - even the art quilts. I would show pictures, but I'm not sure it OK from a copyright point of view.

Ahh - the shopping. I thought I would be good as I have many UFOs and projects waiting to be started. I was sooo wrong. I found fat quarters for my Dear Jane quilt, new patterns I had to have and fabric for a new project. My friend was no help -she kept encouraging me! Of course I was also urging her to buy too.

As always I couldn't resist the Sweet Treats offered by the Pincushion Boutique. Sweet Treats are eight coordinating fat quarters ready to be made into a quilt.


The frogs are so cute.

I also love the handmade jewelery that you find at the show. I bought a lovely pair of earrings made of polymer clay that are small quilts (Quilted in Clay), a whimsical cat pin with quilt motifs (Gita Maria), and an antique button with cats that I want to turn into a brooch.


I was happy to see the folks from Quilting by the Bay in Galveston. Their shop was destroyed in Hurricane Ike. I hope they will continue in the business as they really had a interesting and fun shop.

I have found that quilters are generally friendly and interesting people to meet. This weekend my friend and I got to know two lovely ladies from California that were staying at the same hotel as us and also attending the show. We ended up riding together and having dinner together. It was a delightful experience sharing our quilting tales.

No comments: